The Corporation for National and Community Service ( CNCS) has released volunteer numbers for 2012. Illinois has an annual volunteer rate of 27.4%, with 2.73 million volunteers serving 286 million total hours per year . Below are some more highlights and the link for more information. http://www.volunteeringinamerica.gov/IL
Trends and Highlights Overview
Overall, in Illinois in 2012:
- 27.4% of residents volunteer, ranking them 27th among the 50 states and Washington, DC.
- 28.5 volunteer hours per resident.
- 2.73 million volunteers.
- 286.0 million hours of service.
- $6.6 billion of service contributed.
- 55.8% of residents donate to charity.
- 8.7% of residents participate in public meetings.
- 26.9% of residents over age 55 volunteer.
- Additional data is available on voting, group participation, social connectedness, and other volunteering and civic life indicators.
More than 3,600 AmeriCorps members and 17,000 Senior Corps volunteers are meeting local needs, strengthening communities, and increasing civic engagement through national service in Illinois This year, CNCS will commit more than $36,010,000 to support Illinois communities through national service.