“Any definition of a successful life must include serving others.”– President George H. W. Bush, 1924-2018
Senior Corps-RSVP Spotlight on Service, December 2018
One of President Bush’s most enduring contributions was to national service and volunteering. In his 1989 inaugural address, President Bush inspired individuals to take voluntary action in their communities as “points of light” … “spread throughout the nation, doing good.” President Bush advanced citizen service as a way to address our nation’s challenges. He ushered in the modern era of national service, setting the stage for the creation of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), the primary funder of the Senior Corps-RSVP program.
As a lifelong champion of kindness and honoring his commitment to serving others, we dedicate this December Spotlight on Service to our 41st President George H. W. Bush.
I had the privilege of hearing President Bush speak at the National Community Service Conference in New Orleans in June of 1998. I share some of his comments from that conference with you. They are as appropriate today as they were 20 years ago. Speaking about CNCS and its members (including Senior Corps-RSVP) he said:
- “When it comes to volunteering in America, these groups … Points of Light Foundation and the Corporation have provided leadership by example, by inspiring, by guiding our nation’s volunteers in ways that help them make the most of their selfless efforts. … I am not surprised that they are leading this effort to bring together a wonderfully diverse and dedicated group of citizens.”
- “I believe we are a nation of do-ers.”
- “So, time and time again, we have shown that good things happen when caring people get involved.
I believe each of you are a point of light in our community. I thank you for continuing to lead a successful life of serving others as members of Senior Corps-RSVP.
Wishing you a joyous holiday season and best wishes for the coming year.
– Linda McLaughlin, Senior Corps-RSVP Program Manager
- Choosing to #BeEssential: Senior Corps-RSVP Members Pivot During COVID-19 - June 11, 2020
- Choosing to #BeEssential: Senior Corps-RSVP Member and Nursing Student Increase Food Access During Coronavirus Lockdown - April 28, 2020
- Senior Corps-RSVP Volunteers at WINGS Help Provide Defenses Against Domestic Violence - August 2, 2019